Has your physician warned you that you have high cholesterol levels? Do you have a family history of high cholesterol? If you haven’t had your cholesterol levels checked in a while, it could be time to call Men’s Vitality Center in Tempe. As Arizona’s leading men’s primary medical service provider, we’re here to help you with a wide range of services designed to address the health concerns specific to men.
We offer a variety of health care services ranging from physicals and checkups to STD testing and testosterone replacement therapy. We’re committed to helping each and every one of our clients with personalized care plans, and our talented physicians will provide you with the dedicated one-on-one care you need to look and feel your best.
What Is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a wax-like substance that is necessary for the body to make new cells, produce hormones, and perform a number of other important functions. There are two different types of cholesterol: LDL and HDL. The former is “bad” cholesterol — it’s the kind that can build up in your arteries and cause serious health problems. The latter is “good” cholesterol — it actually removes LDL cholesterol from your bloodstream.
High Cholesterol Risk Factors:
As we noted above, the following factors can all increase your risk of developing high cholesterol. Schedule an evaluation if any of the following risk factors apply to you or your lifestyle:
- Poor diet: A diet rich in saturated fat can cause your HDL cholesterol levels to rise. Common sources of saturated fat include highly processed foods, animal products, and full-fat dairy products.
- Obesity: A body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher indicates that you are obese. If you also lead a sedentary lifestyle, it is highly likely that you have high cholesterol levels.
- Age: The older you are, the more likely you are to suffer from high cholesterol.
- Sedentary lifestyle: Exercise boosts your HDL levels, which in turn helps to reduce the amount of LDL cholesterol in your bloodstream.
- Smoking: Smoking cigarettes is one of the most harmful things you can do your body. Cigarettes damage blood vessels and make it easier for LDL cholesterol to accumulate.
- Family history: A healthy diet and regular exercise may not be enough to combat high cholesterol. Sometimes, genetics can be all it takes to raise your LDL cholesterol.
Common Cholesterol Facts
Now that you understand more about cholesterol, let’s look at a few of the facts about cholesterol:
- High cholesterol increases your risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and several other health problems.
- There are no symptoms of high cholesterol.
- More than 34 million Americans have levels of cholesterol that put them at risk for high cholesterol-related health problems.
- Some people are predisposed to high cholesterol.
- If high cholesterol runs in your family, make sure to have your cholesterol levels checked yearly.
- If you were able to take a look at your cholesterol-clogged arteries, they’d look like they were lined with a thick layer of butter.
- Cholesterol can show up on your skin as redish-yellow patches.
- These are called xanthomas and normally occur in people who have other health problems such as diabetes.
- You can also have low cholesterol, and that can be just as unhealthy as high cholesterol!
- Low cholesterol has been linked to anxiety and depression.
- Cholesterol-free food can still raise your cholesterol.
- High cholesterol can also be linked to erectile dysfunction. That means it’s not only bad for your heart, but bad for your relationships, too!
Cholesterol can be complicated, and if you’re not a certified physician, you probably can’t determine whether or not you have elevated cholesterol levels. Only a medical professional can tell you if you need to change your lifestyle and begin cholesterol management. Schedule an appointment at Men’s Vitality Center in Tempe to speak to a professional about our cholesterol management services today!